General questions about organization, registration, accomodation, etc., should be sent to
Program-related questions should be directed to program committee chairs.
1 – Faculty of Informatics – conference site (lectures, welcome party)
2 – University canteen (Faculty of Law) – lunches, breakfasts for participants staying in the Druzba hotel
3 – Hotel Kounicova (Druzba) – conference accommodation
4 – Departure to Valtice (Faculty of Law) – conference trip
Saturday, August 21: 8:00 – 17:00
Sunday, August 22: 8:00 – 19:00
Monday, August 23: 7:30 – 19:00
Tuesday, August 24: 8:00 – 17:00
Wednesday, August 25: 8:00 – 13:00
Thursday – Sunday: 8:00 – 17:00
In case of serious unexpected problems, you may use the emergency phone number +420 776 603 902. This number is operational only during registration desk working hours and during the MFCS/CSL conference trip.
Brno is the second largest city in the Czech Republic, with a population of almost 400 000 inhabitants and the country’s judiciary and trade-fair center. The first written note of Brno comes from the nineth century. City rights were acquired in 1243. After successful defense of the city against the Swedish 350 years ago (in 1643–45 during the Thirty Years’ War), Brno became the capital of Moravia. The nineteenth century was a period of technological progress and development for Brno. It became one of the most prominent industrial centers in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It was in Brno where J. G. Mendel discovered his laws of inheritance, V. Kaplan produced the first water turbine and Leos Janacek composed his musical works. Milan Kundera wrote his first novels here. Brno is the place of birth of Kurt Gödel – one of the most important scientists of the 20th century in the world context. There are six Universities in Brno. Historical and artistic places of interest include
Founded in the first half of the 13th century as a royal castle for the defence of Brno. After the 17th century it served as a provincial fortress, and in the 18th and 19th centuries it was a prison for political inmates, called the “prison of nations” of the Habsburg monarchy. It is famous e.g. thanks to many Italian Carbonari prisoners. In 1939-1940 it was prison of the Brno Gestapo, and afterwards served as a military building. Since 1960 it has been the central office of the Brno City Museum. There is a permanent exhibit in the castle`s casemates, and a new exhibition named “Spilberk – Prison of Nations”, as well as displays on Brno history and the City Museum gallery, are currently being prepared in the northern wing.
The Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul is located on the hilltop nect to the city center, on the presumed site of the former Brno castle (including a chapel) from the 11th and 12th centuries. After the old castle`s demise a detached Romanesque basilica was rebuilt as a Gothic cathedral in the 13th century, further modified in the 15th and 16th centuries, and converted to the Baroque style in the 18th century. Its current neo-Gothic form dates from the end of the 19th century. Since 1777 the cathedral has been the seat of the Brno bishop. The original church crypt from the 12th century is now accessible to visitors.
National Cultural site. Founded in the 13th century. The late gothic building we see today was constructed in the 14th and 15th century. (A. Pilgram, A. Gabri, M. Grim, builders) with its final touches added in the 16th century.
Dietrichstejn palace was built in the years 1613-16 by G.G.Tencalla. The monumental palace was rebuilt around the year 1720. Part of the bulidng complex is the “bishop’s courtyard” built in 1352. Today’s Moravian Provincial Museum.
A Neo-Renaissance building built 1868-73 from the drawings of Theofil Hansen jointly with the adjacent Prazak palace as a conceptual unit in the north italian renaissance style. Built between 1871 and 1873 in the neo-Renaissance style for the use by the Czech Readers` Society, the Beseda House was the centre of Czech culture and education in Brno, and a symbol of Czech national feeling among citizens during the waves of Germanization at the turn of the 19th century. Today it is the headquarters of the Brno State Philharmonic Society and the main venue for the “Moravian Autumn” international music festival.
The Baroque “Parnas” fountain was built in the place of an earlier, Renaissance fountain from the year 1597. The current version is the work of Johann Bernard Fischer of Erlach in the years 1690-97.
The Capuchin monastery and the church in the former Coal Market were built by Ondrej Erna in mid-17th Century. It contains a crypt with mummified bodie of the order members and benefactors of the Capuchin Order.
The seat of the city mayor and the highest city administative bodies. The historical core of the site took form in the 1680s, as the place were provincial diets and assemblies of the Moravian nobility were held. The area was expanded in the 17th and 18th centuries to include additional buildings situated around its two coutyards. The present appearance of the building dates from 1934 – 1935.
Originally a town house with a tower in witch the city documents and valuables were stored, this building later served as the centre of municipal administration from the first half of the 13th century up until 1935. The premises were enlarged in the 16th and 17th centuries by the buildings in the courtyard, and the tower was modified at the beginning of the 20th century. Today it is the seat of the Brno Culture and Information Centre, and the site of social events such as the Brno Summer of Culture or the Brno beer festival.
In the immediate surroundings of Brno there are many interesting places including
Moravian Karst is the largest karst territory of the Czech Republic. It is also one of the largest cave systems in central Europe (more than 40km long). There is over 1 100 registered caves there. In the central part, there is a main cave system Rudické Propadání (12 km long). The most famous caves Ochozská (almost 2 km long) are south of the karst. Many of the caves bring evidence about long-extinct life and development of human society. The cave Shed is the oldest Neanderthal man settlement of the Moravian Karst from before 120 000 years ago. Remarkable is also the fauna of the caves. Best known are bats, which are found in 21 kinds so far. The Moravian Karst caves are further settled by numerous invertebrates, which are completely adapted to life in total darkness. Many of them are described as new species for science.
Austerlitz chateau was designed by Italian architect Dominic Martinelli. Castle in the baroque style. It has 115 rooms and an impressive castle garden in the french style. Noteworthy is so-called Ancestral Hall decorated with a ceiling fresco representing the gods on Mount Olympus. Ancestors Hall is connected to Historic Hall, which was completed in 18 century with paintings by Josef Pichler. In the Historical Hall there was signed a truce between Austria and France after the Battle of Austerlitz 6th December 1805. The chateau is also a historical museum and visitors may watch a multimedia presentation about the battle.
Gothic-Renaissance castle Pernstejn was built between the years 1270-85. The castle is the work of the Lords of Pernstein. In 1460 it burnt down, then it was rebuilt. The original castle was extended by sophisticated defenses, and the castle became a fortress. His uncollectability was proved during the siege by the Swedes in the 1645th. At the turn of the 15th and 16 century the castle took rebuilding, which was done in gothic-renaissance style. Castle’s chapel Conversion of St. Paul was painted by J. F. Eckstein in 1716. And at the beginning of the 18th century, the original decoration of the Knights’ Hall was supplied by stucco reliefs by Corbelliniho GA.
It is one of the largest artificial landscapes in Europe (about 200 km^2). Valtice Chateau was originally a gothic castle from the 13th century, which was rebuilt to the renaissance and later baroque chateau. Its present form was built between 1643-1730 by projects of the Italian architect D. Martinelli. Salla Terena is the work of J. B. Fischer of Erlach. The castle is a three storey and four winged building with stables, riding school, rococo coach room, art galleries, and theater. Castle Park was founded in 1727 and built according to designs by D. Girard. In 1996, the Lednice-Valtice area entered in the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage.
This web page will be continuously updated. It will include description of the aforementioned places of interest, guide to the Czech beer and cuisine and reviews of the most popular local restaurants, bars and pubs.